Tuesday, July 19, 2005

July 19th -- Chemotherapy Day 2

Today was lightning fast! I am starting to feel like a pro with chemo and am still feeling pretty good overall. Yesterday lasted till about 2 PM and today I was outta there at 11:30. Mike and I had a good day today in a number of ways.
Mike found out that his tumor markers are down by 1/2 since he started his treatments. This is great news since it means that his "mets" are responding properly to the treatments. He said that he is feeling a little nausiated today-- I said to him that this means his meds are working-- this is a good sign and great news that his tumor markers are down so much!
We chilled out in our recliners for all of the treatments today and had watched Office Space on my laptop. This raised our spirits a bit and had us laughing out loud in the normally quiet surroundings of the treatment room. I am sure that some of the folks must have thought we were nuts laughing out loud while being pumped full of industrial waste, but the movie did a good job of keeping us in high spirits!
I felt fine throughout the treatments today-- I think it made a difference that I took the anti-nausea meds before I went in this AM. The nurse today was Linda-- she had a good sense of humor and laughed at my silly jokes. It really makes a difference when people respond positively and I appreciated her sense of humor and diligent care today. She has been a nurse for over 13 years and it shows in her attention to detail combined with her good humor in dealing with those of us in need of her care.
Brett picked me up from my treatment today and it was great to have a friend come and see me! I was expecting to hang out at the center for a while with him today, but with my luck and fast treatment today, I was finished with the treatment by the time he arrived. We just went and grabbed a cup of Coffee at Amante in North Boulder and saw our friend Gina with Piper and her mom. I hadn't spoken with Gina in a while, so I just shared my situation with her and sent them on their way. I always wonder how people will react to my situation when I tell them, so hopefully I didn't freak anyone out with my candor . . .
Amazingly, I really do feel good right now, so hopefully this will continue as I progress thrugh the next few weeks.

Here is how good I am feeling today:
I have felt like a normal person, and I have not felt sorry for myself at all. I had a few work conversations with folks at Sun and my office in Boulder. It seemed like a normal day in that sense, except that my stress level is somehow lower -- I think I have figured out how to compartmentalize my emotions a little more effectively and be productive in quick spurts.
I am looking outside, appreciating the beauty of our surroundings and looking forward to training for a 1/2 Ironman as soon as I am done with my treatments. I have shed 10 pounds since my initial diagnosis and am looking forward to getting back in the pool and on the bike, motivated to take on the world! I saw Ken and Laurie over the weekend and was thinking that the 1/2 Ironman in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho might be the way to go in the Fall of 2006.

One day closer to cured!

15 Comments:

At 1:53 PM, Blogger Claire said...

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Rick. You have a great attitude. Good luck with the rest of your treatments.

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Lorianne said...

Amen to what Claire said. "One day closer to cured" sounds like a great attitude.

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger John Doom said...

Keep up that great attitude and you'll be good as new before you know it!
Best Wishes,
John

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger FoxFOrce said...

Thanks for being so open about it. Your experiences might help someone else get checked before it's too late.

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger miss canada said...

Good luck, Rick, and keep up the awesome attitude. Attitude will be your strongest medicine throughout this whole process. Hope you get back on the bike soon -- physical activity is super important to recovery!

 
At 3:58 AM, Blogger Steve Giovannetti said...

Yeah, hi Rick, ah, I'm going to need you to come in this saturday, oh and ah, when can I get those TCP reports?

Seriously man, good luck. I'm glad to see you blogging it.

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Good luck Rick! I have a friend whose husband went through this and it is now 2 years later, he is doing great! I have every confidence that your attitude alone will bring you through this.

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Whatsername again....? said...

not only is your attitude great for you, but for the rest of the patients you encuonter. you will all comeout the better cos of it =)

best wishes!!

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Rach said...

hi Rick,
wow, you're amazing! your attitude is incredible! thanks for blogging it, as others have already said, it might make a HUGE difference in somebody's life. Good luck with the rest of the treatment, i'm sending you the good mojo as i write this. You'll be in my thoughts!

take care
Rach
(as naiah said, another random voice over the wonderous thing we call t'internet!

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Sharfa said...

Lance beat it, and you will too!

When they say "Laughter is the best medicine", they aren't kidding - research proves it. Patch Adams knew it too.

Best wishes to you!

 
At 9:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am also here via Nickerblog.
I just lost an Aunt to cancer this week, she was 90 years old. Your story is very touching because your attitude is phenomenal and inspiring. I wish you all the best in your fight. I will be following your story closely and encouraging my loved ones to get checked. Keep blogging!
Take care!

 
At 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Rick! I also came here via Nickerblog. Your openness (not to mention positive attitude) are inspiring!

 
At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Rickster! I hope that today's session goes ok. Sounds like yesterday's did. I am thinking about you every day and hoping you are feeling ok. Great to see you Sunday. It is HOT here. yesterday it was 116 in Boise and 90 here- which is super hot for us. Ziggy is dying to go swimming now- time for a lunch break so I guess I'll take her down to the lake for a dip. It's 87 degrees in my office right now AHHHHHH no a/c sucks!!!! Miss ya-Laur

 
At 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Rick for blogging. It took me a long time to convince my husband just to have his prostate checked and prostate cancer runs in his family. I hope you keep posting and feel well.

We will be reading you!
Lisa A.

 
At 4:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the positive thoughts. This whole process will be a memory soon and you can get back to living life the way you want. Even though it is 106 out right now, I am starting to think snow - plan on a few trips this winter.

Jim C.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home