Sunday, July 17, 2005

June 17th

I had Surgery today-- a radical Orchiectomy! New vocabulary for the newly indoctrinated into the one nut club!. It appears that my tumor is most likely malignant, but it also appears that we cought the tumor early enough that my treatment options will likely lead to successful elimination of any chance of additional spread. My urologist has stated that the operation went well and that it appears that they were able to get all of the neoplasm. No news on whether there is any sort of vascular or epididmal invasion. We will probably get some pathology on tuesday or so of next week. I suppose, if there is any good news to get from this then it is that this form of cancer is relatively treatable and the cure rates are higher than 90% at the apparent stage.
I had a bit of pain after leaving the hospital, but not where you might expect. The incision is in a lower abdominal location above where I had an incision for an appendectomy when I was in my teens. The procedure removed the tumor through the inguinal area and there is no apparent disturbance to the scrotum or other area of my delicate anatomy. When I look in the mirror, I notice a slight difference in appearance, but I would venture to guess that nobody would suspect that I have only one nut unless they were acutely aware of my situation.
After being at home for several hours after the surgery, I have noticed that there is some nerve damage in the direct path of the surgery and a strange numbness on the outside of my right thigh. All I can say about this is that Surgery is weird!
I cannot believe that this was an outpatient procedure!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home